- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Arbor Day Foundation offers 10 free flowering trees in January
Residents of Illinois can ring in the new year by receiving 10 free flowering trees by joining the Arbor Day Foundation any time during January 2012.
By becoming a member of the nonprofit Arbor Day Foundation, you will receive two white flowering dogwoods, two flowering crabapples, two Washington hawthorns, two American redbuds and two goldenraintrees.
“These beautiful trees will give your home in Illinois lovely flowers with pink, yellow and white colors,” said John Rosenow, chief executive and founder of the Arbor Day Foundation. “These trees are perfect for large and small spaces, and they will provide food and habitat for songbirds.”
The free trees are part of the nonprofit Foundation’s Trees for America campaign.
The trees will be shipped postpaid at the right time for planting, between Feb. 1 and May 31, with enclosed planting instructions. The 6- to 12-inch tall trees are guaranteed to grow, or they will be replaced free of charge.
Arbor Day Foundation members also receive a subscription to the Foundation’s bimonthly publication, Arbor Day, and The Tree Book, which includes information about tree planting and care.
To become a member of the foundation and to receive the free trees, send a $10 contribution to ten free flowering trees, Arbor Day Foundation, 100 Arbor Ave., Nebraska City, NE 68410, by Jan. 31, 2012. Illinois residents can also join online at arborday.org/january.
From the Jan. 4-10, 2012, issue