- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
- 7-year-old struck by car near Walker School
- Final City Market of the season Friday, Oct. 17
- Lee Hamilton: Viewing political corruption more broadly
- Rehearsals begin Oct. 19 for 69th presentation of Handel’s ‘Messiah’
- Amenti Haunted House opens Oct. 17 at DeKalb’s Egyptian Theatre
Basketball: Globetrotters to entertain at BMO Harris Bank Center Jan. 8
By Doug Halberstadt
In no particular order, they are athletes, comedians, entertainers and showmen all wrapped up in basketball uniforms. I’m talking about the legendary Harlem Globetrotters. The traveling troupe of historic hoopsters will make a return visit to Rockford this Sunday, Jan. 8. They will tip off at the BMO Harris Bank Center at 2 p.m.
The Globetrotters have played their unique brand of comedy basketball in almost every country on the planet. They’ve entertained presidents, popes, kings, queens and millions of ordinary people of all ages, shapes and sizes. They dribble, pass and shoot and create smiles and life long memories in a world without boundaries.
Some of their previous players have included Wilt Chamberlain and Magic Johnson. They’ve starred in their own movies and television shows. They are undoubtedly the most famous basketball team in the world.
This year, the team has a bit of a different look than in years past. Joining the usual group of characters is newcomer TNT Maddox. The 5-foot-6-inch rookie out of Temple University is only the ninth woman in the 85-year history of the team to put on the famous red, white and blue uniform.
Maddox will be accompanied by her teammates that sport nicknames such as Jet, Ant, Stretch, Bones, Quake, Hacksaw, Hammer, Spider and a guy from nearby Chicago, who goes by the name of Flip. He’s a 5-foot-9-inch guard who used to be a member of the famous Jesse White Tumblers here in Illinois.
Tickets for Sunday’s game are still available and can be obtained at the door or in advance by contacting the BMO Harris Bank Center ticket office at (815) 968-5600.
From the Jan. 4-10, 2012, issue