- Responding to parents’ vaccine hesitance
- House turns to workers’ comp; workers, business interests testify
- Right-to-work not right for workers
- Several aspects of the Cubs bring optimism
- ‘Hogs handle Stars, move on to Grand Rapids
- TRRT Online Edition | May 6-12
- RRI: The Names frontman Dave Galluzzo
- Madigan sues companies of student loan debt scams
- State Roundup: Gambling expansion hearing highlights two possible bills
- Rauner to Smiddy: No debate for you
Guest Column: Donations sought for Jan. 16 Veterans Needs Drive
By Pamela Echols
In recognition of Martin Luther King Day of Service Jan. 16, YouthBuild Rockford AmeriCorps will be sponsoring and coordinating a Veterans Needs Drive. All proceeds will be delivered to William S. Middleton Memorial Veterans Hospital. It would be an honor to have you join us in service to help support some of our nation’s veterans.
We would appreciate your donations including, but not limited to, the following:
• New quilts/afghans/fleece blankets for the hospice program
• Used magazine donations only accepted as follows:
1. The magazines must be dated within three months of the present month.
2. The magazines must be in good condition and clean, and the magazines must be appropriate for everyone (nothing religious, suggestive or sexual in any way).
3. No catalogs or advertisements of any type.
4. Please remove the mailing label or black out the information so it is not readable, for your privacy.
• Books — PAPERBACK books are accepted, provided they are in good condition, clean and of appropriate content. Patients enjoy westerns, mysteries and thrillers. Romance novels are not needed, as there is little to no demand for them.
• Gas cards ($10 or $20 denominations) — BP, Kwik Trip
• Puzzle books (crosswords, word search, Sudoku, etc.)
• Calendars/Planners — for use with Compensated Work Therapy Program (job searching)
• Postage stamps — first-class stamps for patients to mail letters/cards
• Games — small or medium size Cribbage boards or other peg-board games
• Reading glasses
• Small backpacks for use in our clothing room
• Paint brushes (assorted sizes for use with models, paint by number, suncatchers, etc.)
• Drawing pads or non-spiral sketch
• Small canvas boards for painting
• Acrylic paint sets
Please drop off your donation between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., Jan. 16, at Comprehensive Community Solutions, Inc., 917 S. Main St.
We thank you in advance on behalf of William S. Middleton Memorial Veterans Hospital, Comprehensive Community Solutions, Inc., and YouthBuild Rockford AmeriCorps. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at (815) 963-6236, ext. 224.
Pamela Echols is the community services coordinator/AmeriCorps director for Comprehensive Community Solutions, Inc.
From the Jan. 4-10, 2012, issue