- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
JustGoods hosts Andrew and Casey Calhoun with Victor Sanders Jan. 6
JustGoods Listening Room will host Chicago-area favorites Andrew and Casey Calhoun, with Victor Sanders at 7 p.m., Friday, Jan. 6.
The group performs an eclectic variety of self-compositions and interpretations of music by artists ranging from Anais Mitchell to Dave Carter and Pink Floyd, from folk to pop to swing, and adds new dimensions of harmony and call-and-response to Calhoun originals, Scottish ballads and American spirituals.
The group features Andrew on vocals and guitar, his daughter Casey on vocals and dance, and Victor Sanders on lead guitar. Andrew’s and Casey’s vocals are pure and distinctive. Casey, an accomplished dancer, often dances the breaks of songs to Victor Sanders’ innovative, entrancing guitar leads.
Andrew got his first guitar in 1967 at the age of 10, and began writing songs at age 12. By the late ’70s, he was performing in the Chicago folk scene.
Andrew has since toured internationally, performing at folk clubs and festivals, pubs and house concerts. In 1992, he founded Waterbug Records, an artists’ cooperative folk label, which has grown to 100 titles, bringing some of the brightest singer-songwriters and folk musicians to an international audience. His own recordings have been released on Hogeye, Flying Fish and Waterbug Records. He is currently working on a new project of original songs after releasing his 11th recording, Grapevine, a collection of folk songs.
JustGoods Listening Room is at 201 Seventh St., Rockford, and can be reached at (815) 965-8903.
From the Jan. 4-10, 2012, issue