- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Rockford College senior 2011 Lincoln Laureate
Rockford College senior Samuel Randall, of Caledonia, Ill., has been selected as a Lincoln Academy Student Laureate for 2011, a statewide honor that recognizes college seniors in the state who demonstrate excellence in curricular and extracurricular activities.
At a ceremony Nov. 5, Randall received a medallion at the Student Laureate Convocation at the Old State Capitol in Springfield, along with an honorarium check and certificate of achievement. The event marked the 37th year students have been honored by the academy.
A combined biochemistry and classics major, Randall has been extremely active in college life at Rockford, with involvement in student government as a senior senator. He is president of the French and German clubs on campus, and is a member of the Judicial Board. He also served as the Board of Trustee student representative. His goal after graduation is to enter medical school and pursue an MD/Ph.D. Regarding the award, he said, “It is a privilege to join the many exceptional students that have gone before me.”
Each fall, an outstanding senior from each of the four-year degree-granting institutions of higher learning in Illinois is awarded the Student Lincoln Academy Medallion and thereby becomes a Student Laureate of The Lincoln Academy of Illinois.
From the Jan. 4-10, 2012, issue