- Commentary: Walker’s budget calls for schools to stop reporting sexual assaults
- Wallace hopes for redevelopment expansion
- Teravainen makes instant impact on return to ‘Hawks
- Oregon mayor reacts to Exelon talk of closing nuclear plant
- GiGi’s benefit for Down syndrome, March 21
- What’s the future hold for Rose?
- ‘Hogs keep pace in tight Midwest
- Qatar continues to confound
- Meet John Doe: Keep public notices in print
- Commentary: Rauner’s minimum wage plan just more of the same from GOP
Foresters sign player with World Series connection
The Rockford Foresters baseball team has signed first baseman Geno Larkin from Division I program Wagner College, where he is currently a freshman.
Larkin was the 20th player to sign to play for the Rockford Foresters for the 2012 season.
The 6-foot-3-inch, 230-pound Larkin is a switch-hitting player who has gap-to-gap power. In addition to playing first base, the Minnesota native can also play third base. Larkin played high school baseball at Eden Prairie High School, where he lettered and was part of the team that went to the state tournament.
Larkin is the son of former Minnesota Twins World Series hero Gene Larkin, who played for the Minnesota Twins from 1987 to 1993 and was a member of the 1987 and 1991 World Series championship teams.
Gene is best known for hitting the series-winning single in 1991, a deep fly ball that was not caught by the Braves that scored fellow teammate Dan Gladden from third base during the 10th inning in Game 7 of the 1991 Series. Gene played college ball at Columbia University and was the first alumnus to make it to the major leagues since Lou Gehrig.
Game-worn jerseys for sale
The Rockford Foresters are getting new home team uniforms in 2012. A combination of different game-worn jerseys from 2011 will be for sale. All of the white jerseys (home jerseys) from last season will be for sale, along with a select number of black away jerseys.
Following is a breakdown of the jerseys for sale, by jersey color:
Black jerseys: No. 3, large; and
White jerseys: No. 30, large; No. 3, large; No. 27, extra large; No. 12, extra large; and No. 7, large.
Jerseys are $25, plus tax and $6 shipping. Orders can be placed by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
From the Jan. 11-17, 2012, issue