- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
- Impacts of low oil prices
- Monica Lewinsky takes aim at online bullying
- Beware of online Halloween scams
- Rockton Lions raise funds for Talcott Free Library during Oct. 10 Candy Day
- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
Foresters sign player with World Series connection
The Rockford Foresters baseball team has signed first baseman Geno Larkin from Division I program Wagner College, where he is currently a freshman.
Larkin was the 20th player to sign to play for the Rockford Foresters for the 2012 season.
The 6-foot-3-inch, 230-pound Larkin is a switch-hitting player who has gap-to-gap power. In addition to playing first base, the Minnesota native can also play third base. Larkin played high school baseball at Eden Prairie High School, where he lettered and was part of the team that went to the state tournament.
Larkin is the son of former Minnesota Twins World Series hero Gene Larkin, who played for the Minnesota Twins from 1987 to 1993 and was a member of the 1987 and 1991 World Series championship teams.
Gene is best known for hitting the series-winning single in 1991, a deep fly ball that was not caught by the Braves that scored fellow teammate Dan Gladden from third base during the 10th inning in Game 7 of the 1991 Series. Gene played college ball at Columbia University and was the first alumnus to make it to the major leagues since Lou Gehrig.
Game-worn jerseys for sale
The Rockford Foresters are getting new home team uniforms in 2012. A combination of different game-worn jerseys from 2011 will be for sale. All of the white jerseys (home jerseys) from last season will be for sale, along with a select number of black away jerseys.
Following is a breakdown of the jerseys for sale, by jersey color:
Black jerseys: No. 3, large; and
White jerseys: No. 30, large; No. 3, large; No. 27, extra large; No. 12, extra large; and No. 7, large.
Jerseys are $25, plus tax and $6 shipping. Orders can be placed by e-mailing email@example.com.
From the Jan. 11-17, 2012, issue