- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
- Nov. 2 concert celebrates release of Jodi Beach’s sixth recording
- Healthy Halloween Party Nov. 1 at U of I College of Medicine at Rockford
- Three local NFL Flag Football teams head to regional competition
- ‘Hoo’ Haven hosts annual open house Nov. 2 in Durand
January is National Blood Donor Month
The Rock River Valley Blood Center (RRVBC) announces January is National Blood Donor Month. This annual month-long observance provides the blood banking community with an opportunity to pay tribute to past and present blood donors, and to extend an invitation to donate blood to those healthy, eligible individuals who have previously never given the gift of life. This call to action comes at a time when blood is traditionally in short supply because of the holidays, travel schedules, inclement weather and illness.
Linda Gerber, RRVBC CEO, said: “Blood donors are the backbone of the community blood supply. They are the everyday heroes that ensure blood is there when patients need it. We thank them all year long, but it is important that they be honored for their dedication. We are urging people to start off the New Year by donating blood and by making a commitment to become a regular donor.”
Jennifer Bowman, RRVBC public relations and marketing manager, added: “The need for blood is constant. One in three people will need blood in their lifetime. Each day, patients across the country receive more than 40,000 units of this vital resource. This year alone, more than 5 million patients will require blood transfusions, as accident victims, people undergoing surgery, and patients receiving treatment for leukemia, cancer and other diseases.”
RRVBC serves as a centralized, community blood center and is the only provider of blood products and services to Beloit Health System, Edgerton Hospital and Health Services, FHN, Mercy Harvard Hospital, OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center, Rochelle Community Hospital, Rockford Health System, SwedishAmerican Health System and SwedishAmerican Medical Center — Belvidere.
For more details or to make an appointment to donate blood, call toll-free at 877-RRVBC-99 or find RRVBC on the web at www.rrvbc.org.
Following are the hours and locations of RRVBC blood centers:
• Headquarters and Downtown Donor Center — 419 N. Sixth St., Rockford: 6:30 a.m.-6 p.m., Monday-Thursday; 6:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Friday; and 7-11 a.m., Saturday.
• Belvidere Donor Center — 1740 S. State St., Belvidere, Ill.: 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Tuesday; 11 a.m.-6 p.m., Wednesday-Thursday; 8 a.m.-1 p.m., Friday; and 7-11 a.m., second Saturday of each month.
• Freeport Donor Center — 461 E. South St., Freeport, Ill.: 9 a.m.-6 p.m., Monday-Tuesday; 7 a.m.-2 p.m., Thursday-Friday; and 7-11 a.m., second Saturday of each month.
• Perryville Donor Center — 3065 N. Perryville Road, Rockford: 6:30 a.m.-7 p.m., Monday-Thursday; and 7 a.m.-1 p.m., Friday-Saturday.
From the Jan. 11-17, 2012, issue