- Omnibus police reform bill passes House
- Senate refuses Rauner on lawsuits, property taxes
- Hastert indicted on federal charges
- State Roundup: Worker’s Comp proposal fails to make it out of committee
- Water advocates, Illinois businesses applaud release of EPA’s Clean Water Rule
- Renewable energy gains market share
- 13 arrested in FIFA probe
- Rockford Rocked Interview with Paul Bronson
- State Roundup: House passes youth concussion legislation
- Moving out
Starved Rock State Park threatened by mine
Courtesy of Tom Lindblade
Illinois Paddling Council, President
From Prairie Rivers Network
Please contact LaSalle County Board members and tell them to protect Starved Rock by not permitting the sand mine.
If you have time for just one call, the LaSalle County Board chairman is Jerry Hicks, (815) 795-2608.
A proposed sand mine adjacent to Starved Rock State Park could drain a rare, brackish wetland, with high-quality plant communities and specific habitat for threatened and endangered species. The noise generated from blasting and constant truck traffic will have a negative impact on the wildlife populations that inhabit the area.
Starved Rock State Park receives more than 2 million visitors annually, many of whom come to view the abundant wildlife that occur in the area, such as the bald eagles that overwinter there and the white pelicans that migrate to the Illinois Valley in spring and fall.
It’s not too late to let members of the LaSalle County Board know you oppose locating this mine near Starved Rock. Please take the time to call board members and voice your concern.
In December, the LaSalle County Zoning Board of Appeals voted unanimously in favor of the permit. However, the proposal will go before the full LaSalle County Board Thursday, Jan. 12, for a final vote.
Please contact the county board members or attend the county board meeting in support of Starved Rock State Park.
When: Thursday, Jan. 12, at 1 p.m.
Where: Knights of Columbus Hall at 401 W. Main St., in Ottawa, Ill.
From the Jan. 11-17, 2012, issue