- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
Starved Rock State Park threatened by mine
Courtesy of Tom Lindblade
Illinois Paddling Council, President
From Prairie Rivers Network
Please contact LaSalle County Board members and tell them to protect Starved Rock by not permitting the sand mine.
If you have time for just one call, the LaSalle County Board chairman is Jerry Hicks, (815) 795-2608.
A proposed sand mine adjacent to Starved Rock State Park could drain a rare, brackish wetland, with high-quality plant communities and specific habitat for threatened and endangered species. The noise generated from blasting and constant truck traffic will have a negative impact on the wildlife populations that inhabit the area.
Starved Rock State Park receives more than 2 million visitors annually, many of whom come to view the abundant wildlife that occur in the area, such as the bald eagles that overwinter there and the white pelicans that migrate to the Illinois Valley in spring and fall.
It’s not too late to let members of the LaSalle County Board know you oppose locating this mine near Starved Rock. Please take the time to call board members and voice your concern.
In December, the LaSalle County Zoning Board of Appeals voted unanimously in favor of the permit. However, the proposal will go before the full LaSalle County Board Thursday, Jan. 12, for a final vote.
Please contact the county board members or attend the county board meeting in support of Starved Rock State Park.
When: Thursday, Jan. 12, at 1 p.m.
Where: Knights of Columbus Hall at 401 W. Main St., in Ottawa, Ill.
From the Jan. 11-17, 2012, issue