- Two adults, two kids dead in Dec. 20 Rockford shooting
- Teen in custody following shooting on Crestview
- Man sentenced to 38 years for May 2008 murder
- EarthTalk: Still in denial about climate
- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
Jon Drake & The Shakes in DeKalb, Woodstock Jan. 26, 27
Jon Drake & The Shakes will perform with special guests Chaperone and Dave Green beginning at 8 p.m., Thursday, Jan. 26, at Otto’s Niteclub & Underground, 118 E. Lincoln Hwy., DeKalb, Ill. Cover is $7.
Equipped with 13 songs and a pittance of a recording budget, Jon Drake & The Shakes set out to record an album that would represent two years of hard work as a band. They started by trekking to a small cottage with no running water in Galena, Ill., in the middle of winter. There, they set out to record bass, drums, guitars and organ.
“We didn’t want to make another smooth and uber-polished recording,” Drake said. “There are enough of those. We set out to record something that sounds organic without sacrificing quality. The quality comes from the performances on the record.”
The rest of the instruments, which include violin, cello, trumpet, trombone and all eight voices, were recorded in a small studio in Chicago’s South Loop over the next several months. The result is Dear Ulysses, an 11-song album whose songs speak for themselves. Check out the lead single, “Charlie,” here: http://jondrakeandtheshakes.bandcamp.com/track/charlie.
In addition to the DeKalb show, Jon Drake & The Shakes will be performing in Woodstock, Ill., the following night, Friday, Jan. 27, at DC Cobb’s, 226 Main St. The band will be joined by special guest Ellis Seiberling. The Woodstock show will start at 10 p.m. and has a $5 cover.
From the Jan. 18-24, 2012, issue