- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Literary Hook: Poem shares observations and wisdom gained over time
By Christine Swanberg
Author and Poet
The new year often means resolutions or a new way of looking at life. Sometimes we look over the year to see what we may have learned. We try to discern better ways of thinking and spending our time. Sometimes, the lessons are bittersweet. Sometimes, insights are incisive. As we get older, our insights include a lifetime of observations.
Perhaps some wisdom resides
in your limitations.
If you want to be authentic,
be careful not to trade
one tribe for another. Cancer
isn’t caused by bad thoughts.
Don’t confuse pity with love
or you might spend
your life with the wrong people.
The number of calls
you receive on your cell phone
is not the measure
of your importance. Technology
is a tool, not a destination.
Jealousy serves no purpose.
Note the lousy within it.
If you don’t cultivate solitude
or court silence as a friend,
you may end up lonely
in a room full of noise.
If you haven’t seen the stars
in a while, it’s about time.
Christine Swanberg is a local author and poet. Her books include Who Walks Among the Trees with Charity (Wind Publishing, Kentucky), The Red Lacquer Room (Chiron Publishing, Kansas), The Tenderness of Memory (Plainview Press, Texas) and Slow Miracle (Lakeshore Publishing, Illinois).
From the Jan. 18-24, 2012, issue