- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Local woman featured in ‘People’ magazine
March 15, 2010, Angela McCullough of Rockford walked into the local Jenny Craig Center. Asked what was motivating her to change her life, she said: “I tried every diet, no matter how crazy it sounded, from the Cabbage Soup Diet to high-protein, no-carbohydrate diet. I would lose weight, but as soon as I started to eat ‘regular’ food, I would put the weight back on and then some. I lost my dad to a coronary heart attack in May 2006. This tragic event crushed me emotionally and, as usual, I found comfort in food.
“By 2008,” she continued, “I had gained more than 90 pounds. I knew I had to do something but didn’t know what to do or how to take the weight off. In March 2010, I went to the doctor and tipped the scales at 281! It scared me to death … I had to do something about my weight before I ended up a diabetic or on medication for high blood pressure.
“On March 15, I decided to give Jenny a call,” McCullough said. “That was the start of my weight-loss journey. I learned many useful things from my consultant that helped me change my habits. My mindset changed from thinking, ‘I live to eat’ to ‘I will eat to live.’ I now know the right nutritious foods to fuel my body and how to moderate portions to enjoy the foods I love. I have also realized that going on a program is not enough. It is a lifestyle change that brings about lasting weight loss results.”
Since then, McCullough has achieved an incredible 145-pound weight loss, losing more than half her initial body weight as well as maintained it for a year. She attributes her success to her weekly consultations, education about the program, the support of her friends, family and Jenny Craig consultant and focusing on “small steps” throughout her journey. She has been featured in People magazine’s Half Their Size issue, on newsstands now, and has been interviewed on The Today Show, E News, The Insider, Inside Edition, Extra and WREX Channel 13 news. Her story has helped thousands of people and inspired so many. She is a true “weight-loss champion.”
Jenny Craig Center is at 5301 E. State in Rockford. McCullough will be there starting at noon, Saturday, Jan. 21, to share her story and answer questions from the public.
From the Jan. 18-24, 2012, issue