- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Rockford-area Catholic women honored
Sunday, Jan. 29, the Rockford Deanery Council of Catholic Women will hold its 20th Annual Woman of the Year Banquet at Cliffbreakers Restaurant in Rockford. This dinner honors women who have been selected by their own parishes for outstanding long-term service in the parish and/or community.
Nineteen women from the Rockford Deanery will be honored this year. Those receiving special recognition are as follows:
St. James, Belvidere: Norma Stein; St. Mary, Byron: Mary Ann Bukoski; St. Mary/St. Patrick, Durand, Irish Grove: Sue Cocoma; St. Bridget, Loves Park: Patti Bishop; St. Mary, Pecatonica: Margaret Bauch; Holy Family, Rockford: Sue Sabrowski; St. Anthony of Padua, Rockford: Marie Falzone; St. Bernadette, Rockford: Phyllis Lee; St. Edward, Rockford: Elaine Grygiel; St. James, Rockford: Nancy Snow; St. Mary’s Oratory, Rockford: Danuta Barnhart; St. Patrick, Rockford: Anne Murphy and Patricia Stahl; Cathedral of St. Peter, Rockford: Jean Czerniewski; SS Peter and Paul, Rockford: Maria Teresa Garza; St. Rita, Rockford: Mary Fehrle; St. Stanislaus Kostka, Rockford: Anna Bratko; Church of the Holy Spirit, Roscoe: Clare Hughes; and St. Peter, South Beloit: Junie Pospischil.
A social hour will be at 5 p.m., followed by dinner at 5:30 p.m. The public is invited to attend. Cost of the meal is $30 per person. Dinner choices are: Herb Crusted Tilapia and Beef Wellington or Vegetarian Lasagna. The children’s selection is Chicken Fingers and Fries for $13 per child (ages 4-10). Reservations can be made at each parish or by calling Angie Kelly at (815) 964-4284 by Friday, Jan. 20.
From the Jan. 18-24, 2012, issue