- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
Local martial arts instructor launches website
Local martial arts instructor and published writer Michael Benjamin has announced the launch of his new Dojo-website at www.closequarterskempo.com. Current features include free martial arts and spiritual articles, history, philosophy, links and other happenings. Future contents will include photos and video media.
A Rockford native and Northern Illinois University graduate, Benjamin is the only martial arts instructor from the Midwest with articles published in Inside Kung-Fu, Black Belt and Blade magazines; as well as in Kelly Worden’s Worden Defense System Newsletter; on Master-At-Arms James Albert Keating’s Maajak World e-zine; and on Alex Jones’ infamous Infowars.com. He is also the author of the poetry collections The Wind of Seasons (Sterling House, 1994) and Crowsongs (Vantage Press, 1998).
With more than 25 years of experience, Benjamin holds advanced black belts in Quanfa and Qin Na Gongfu, Kempo Karate, and Okinawan weaponry, as well as a bachelor’s degree in history and minor in Southeast Asian studies. He has trained under some of the world’s most renowned martial arts masters, including the late great Professor Remy Presas (Grandmaster of Modern Arnis and Black Belt Hall of Fame member), Datu Kelly S. Worden (Grandmaster of Natural Spirit International, hand-to-hand combat instructor for the U.S. Army’s First Special Forces Group, featured on the History Channel), Soke Rodney Sacharnoski (Grandmaster of Juko Kai Intl., featured on TV’s Ripley’s Believe It Or Not and More Than Human) and PKA heavyweight kickboxing world champion “Bad” Brad Hefton.
For more information, call (815) 229-8607 or go to www.closequarterskempo.com.
From the Jan. 25-31, 2012, issue