- Man sentenced to 12 years in fatal hit-and-run
- White House fence jumper charged with kicking Secret Service dogs
- Man arrested on child pornography charges
- Woman hit with liquor bottle during home invasion
- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
Re: Wrong destination for pipeline
The old route of Keystone XL pipeline was over the Ogalalla Aquifer ended at refineries near Houston and Port Arthur, Texas. How low above the 20th-century sea level are those refineries? Any new infrastructure projects should remain at least 100 feet above current sea level. How high will salt water rise down there during 21st, 22nd and 23rd centuries? It is cheaper, safer, saner and shorter to build a pipeline from Alberta to the existing refineries near Chicago. Texas exports oil and gas products to many other states. Piping more fuel into Texas and Oklahoma is simply insane. See http://www.eia.gov/state. Use a less expensive short pipeline to pipe excess oil into the Midwest, which imports fuel.
Blooming Grove, Wis.
From the Jan. 25-31, 2012, issue