Illinois hospitals contributed annual community benefits of more than $4.6 billion in programs and services in their 2009-10 fiscal years, according to the fifth annual report issued by the Illinois Hospital Association (IHA).
Illinois Hospitals: Cornerstones of Health, Foundations of the Community focuses on how hospitals in Illinois respond to the evolving health care needs of patients in their communities as they strive to combat obesity and diabetes, lend a helping hand when needed, and enhance the services they provide in a multitude of ways.
During fiscal year 2010, Rockford Memorial Hospital contributed annual community benefits of more than $48 million in programs and services.
Gary E. Kaatz, president and CEO of Rockford Health System, said: “Rockford Health System is extremely proud of its commitment to the Rockford region. It is a commitment that stretches well beyond the walls of our hospital.”
As reported under the Illinois Community Benefits Act, Rockford Memorial Hospital provided the following:
• $25,117,718 absorbed by the hospital because of underpayments by government-sponsored programs such as Medicare and Medicaid;
• $7,703,418 in health care services for patients who were unable to pay;
• $10,474,384 in free and discounted care at cost;
• $1,299,302 to educate new physicians, nurses and other medical professionals;
• $2,571,197 to subsidize operational losses related to select patient care services (e.g., behavioral medicine, pastoral services, women’s services);
• $382,931 in language assistance services; and
• $1,353,329 in donations, volunteer work and other services.
Despite the continuing economic downturn and Illinois’ challenging political and fiscal environments, the state’s hospitals contributed not only services and programs to benefit their communities, but also billions of dollars in tangible economic benefits as major employers, job creators and purchasers of goods and services.
Illinois hospitals pump $75.1 billion into the state’s economy each year, including more than $14.8 billion in salaries and benefits to employ nearly a quarter of a million people. In nearly half of the state’s counties, hospitals are among the top three employers.
Illinois Hospitals: Cornerstones of Health, Foundations of the Community demonstrates the enormous impact Illinois hospitals have on individual lives as well as entire communities. The report can be seen at http://tinyurl.com/86hb833.
From the Jan. 25-31, 2012, issue