- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
Youth Baseball: Scarpetta holds pitching lessons at Wallbangers
LOVES PARK, Ill. — Rockford RiverHawks pitcher and Rockton native Brett Scarpetta is holding pitching lessons from now through the end of April at Wallbangers Academy in Loves Park.
Scarpetta is offering half-hour sessions for $35 for anybody interested in improving their pitching skills in preparation for the spring and summer seasons. All ages are welcome, and Scarpetta is filling sessions on a first-come, first-serve basis.
“My lessons will cater to everyone’s individual needs,” Scarpetta said. “Whether you are looking to improve your overall pitching ability or master your command of a particular pitch, I can help you get ready for 2012.”
Scarpetta, 25, is entering his fifth professional season and second with the RiverHawks. He has a 31-18 career record in 76 games and 67 starts.
Scarpetta is also the pitching coach for Rock Valley College.
“Coaching at RVC has given me the opportunity to work with many young pitchers in the Rockford community,” he said. “I am excited to work with a group of new players, and become more involved in the community through my lessons at Wallbangers this winter.”
For more details and to sign up, contact Scarpetta at (815) 543-0708.
The RiverHawks are members of the Frontier League, an independent professional baseball league that will play its 20th season in 2012. Advertising and season ticket information is available by calling (815) 885-2255. Fans can also visit www.rockfordriverhawks.com.
From the Jan. 25-31, 2012, issue