- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
Overturned semitrailer closes one lane of U.S. Route 20 in Jo Daviess County
Online Staff Report
At about 5:39 a.m., Thursday, Jan. 26, Illinois State Police responded to an overturned truck-tractor semitrailer on U.S. Route 20 about a half-mile west of Center Road in Jo Daviess County.
The investigation found a blue 2005 International truck-tractor pulling a white Utility semitrailer, driven by Daniel Wedeking, 58, of Spirit Lake, Iowa, was traveling east on U.S. Route 20. The truck-tractor semitrailer left the roadway and Wedeking attempted to steer the vehicle back onto the road. The vehicle then overturned in the south ditch.
Wedeking was wearing a seatbelt and was not injured during the crash. Wedeking did suffer a non-life threatening injury as he attempted to exit the overturned vehicle. Wedeking was transported to the Midwest Medical Center in Galena, Ill., by the Elizabeth Ambulance.
Wedeking’s trailer remained intact after overturning, and none of the load of shaved pork was spilled. The vehicle has not been removed from the crash scene and one lane of U.S. Route 20 remains closed. The highway is expected to be open with the vehicle removed by late this evening.
Wedeking was issued a citation for improper lane usage. Assisting agencies include: Jo Daviess County Sheriff’s Office, Elizabeth Fire Department, Elizabeth Ambulance and Illinois Department of Transportation.