- State employees get another win in pay dispute
- Judge tosses Chicago pension deal
- AFSCME, Rauner administration still at odds
- Through the brewing class
- AFSCME: Governor trying to force work stoppage
- What’s to negotiate? Illinois GOP, Dems can’t agree on topic
- Windows users rejoice: Windows 10 fixes what ails you!
- An easy fix to the Cubs scoring woes
- Trump ripped on floor of state House
- Striving to preserve biodiversity
Beloit Rotary Club names Teacher of the Month
The Beloit Rotary Club has named Beloit College Professor of History and Anthropology Rob LaFleur its “Teacher of the Month.” An award ceremony was held Tuesday, Jan. 31, in the Rotary River Center.
“It’s for teachers in the whole area, so that means a lot to me because we’re all in this together,” LaFleur said. “The third-grade teacher, the 11th-grade teacher and I have a bunch in common, and that’s what this award celebrates.”
Area elementary, secondary and higher education teachers are eligible for this award, which is periodically given throughout the year by the Rotary Club, according to Tom Warren, chairman of the Rotary Teacher of the Month Committee.
LaFleur was nominated by Provost and Dean of Beloit College Ann Davies, and he was subsequently selected by the Rotary Teacher of the Month Committee.
LaFleur has a blog, which he uses to share and debate knowledge outside the traditional classroom, Davies noted. Titled “Round and Square,” his blog covers topics on everything from authenticity and ostracism to the Tour de France and the ethnography of Seinfeld. LeFleur has 20 years of experience as an educator, 13 of which have been at Beloit College.
In the past, LaFleur has also received the Underkoffer Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award from the Alliant Energy Foundation for his teaching at Beloit in 2001 and 2011, and the Charles S. Bassett Teaching Award in 1998 from Colby College. He was also a finalist for the American Historical Association’s Eugene S. Asher Excellence in Teaching Award in 2010.
From the Feb. 1-7, 2012, issue