- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
Illinois State Police Trooper honored by VFW
Illinois State Police District 16 Commander Lt. Jeff Bain recently announced Trooper Brent Massingill was honored at the VFW Annual Law Enforcement Night Award Ceremony.
Massingill served with the Jo Daviess County Sheriff’s Office for three years before becoming an Illinois State Trooper in 2004. He has served as District 16’s Safety Education Officer (SEO) since April 1, 2007. Massingill’s primary duties include delivering safety presentations about various topics to groups throughout District 16. Massingill has given safe driving presentations at nearly every high school in District 16 and reached nearly 52,000 people in 2011 with safety messages. Massingill also serves as the public information officer for District 16, having given more than 100 media interviews in 2011.
Massingill’s patrol efforts resulted in nearly 150 enforcement contacts in 2011. These contacts include 10 criminal arrests and 17 citations for failing to secure a child in a child safety seat.
Massingill has been one of several troopers presented with an Illinois Department of Transportation Award for his efforts in removing impaired motorists from the road. Massingill was honored for reaching the 75 DUI arrest milestone since joining the Illinois State Police. Massingill has made more than 130 DUI arrests throughout his career.
He serves as a field training officer for District 16 as well as being a field recruiter and child seat safety technician.
From the Feb. 1-7, 2012, issue