- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
- Rockford’s E. Faye Butler to perform at Ten Chimneys in Wisconsin
- Stockholm Inn to be honored by Illinois Office of Tourism
- Winnebago County Sheriff’s Office to be out in force during Thanksgiving holiday
- Wallace co-sponsors bill to increase minimum wage
- Stadelman’s measure to prevent layoffs passes state Senate
Monster Trucks: Rockford native to compete in Feb. 3-4 monster truck event
The Advance Auto Parts Monster Jam Thunder Nationals will take over the BMO Harris Bank Center in Rockford for three shows Feb. 3-4. Featured competitors include Rockford native Jim Burns in “Mechanical Mischief,” plus World Finals competitors “Batman” and “Monster Mutt,” not to mention the high-flying antics of Freestyle Motocross.
Burns will take “home arena” advantage to crush the competition with his truck, Mechanical Mischief, which he built at his shop in Rockford. Burns has been traveling the country competing with Monster Jam since 2007, but still calls the Forest City home. His sponsor is also a local company, Rockford Drive Shaft.
Monster Jam is the world’s premier monster truck series. Its events showcase freestyle and racing competition among custom-designed machines that average 12 feet tall by 12 feet wide, sit atop 66-inch-tall tires and weigh a minimum of 10,000 pounds.
Built for short, high-powered bursts of speed, monster trucks generate 1,500 to 2,000 horsepower and are capable of speeds of up to 100 miles per hour. Monster trucks can fly up to 125 to 130 feet (a distance greater than 14 cars side by side) and up to 35 feet in the air.
Show times are 7:30 p.m., Friday, Feb. 3, and 2 and 7:30 p.m., Saturday, Feb. 4. Tickets start at $20 for adults and $5 for children age 12 and younger, with a limited number of Gold Circle seats still available. Tickets can be purchased at the BMO Harris Bank Center Box Office, online at www.thebmoharrisbankcenter.com, and by phone at (815) 968-5222. Coupons for a $5 discount are available at participating Advance Auto Parts locations through Feb. 3, while supplies last.
A pre-show pit party will be from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., Saturday, Feb. 4. Fans can meet the competitors, collect autographs, take photos and see these outrageous rigs firsthand. Pit passes are $5 with an event ticket and can be purchased at the box office.
For more details, visit www.MonsterJam.com.
From the Feb. 1-7, 2012, issue