- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
- Woman gets 10 years for 2013 involuntary manslaughter
- Secretary of State Police to target abuse of disability parking on Black Friday
- Illinois Commerce Commission approves 500-mile direct-current electric wind power line
- Meet John Doe: Rockford could benefit from the new Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Institute in Chicago
- Tech-Friendly: Surface Pro 3 ad comparing it to MacBook Air is a joke
- Chicago restaurateur Billy Lawless to introduce Obama during immigration speech in Chicago
- Travel Wisconsin Snow Conditions Report assists snow seekers
- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
Monster Trucks: Rockford native to compete in Feb. 3-4 monster truck event
The Advance Auto Parts Monster Jam Thunder Nationals will take over the BMO Harris Bank Center in Rockford for three shows Feb. 3-4. Featured competitors include Rockford native Jim Burns in “Mechanical Mischief,” plus World Finals competitors “Batman” and “Monster Mutt,” not to mention the high-flying antics of Freestyle Motocross.
Burns will take “home arena” advantage to crush the competition with his truck, Mechanical Mischief, which he built at his shop in Rockford. Burns has been traveling the country competing with Monster Jam since 2007, but still calls the Forest City home. His sponsor is also a local company, Rockford Drive Shaft.
Monster Jam is the world’s premier monster truck series. Its events showcase freestyle and racing competition among custom-designed machines that average 12 feet tall by 12 feet wide, sit atop 66-inch-tall tires and weigh a minimum of 10,000 pounds.
Built for short, high-powered bursts of speed, monster trucks generate 1,500 to 2,000 horsepower and are capable of speeds of up to 100 miles per hour. Monster trucks can fly up to 125 to 130 feet (a distance greater than 14 cars side by side) and up to 35 feet in the air.
Show times are 7:30 p.m., Friday, Feb. 3, and 2 and 7:30 p.m., Saturday, Feb. 4. Tickets start at $20 for adults and $5 for children age 12 and younger, with a limited number of Gold Circle seats still available. Tickets can be purchased at the BMO Harris Bank Center Box Office, online at www.thebmoharrisbankcenter.com, and by phone at (815) 968-5222. Coupons for a $5 discount are available at participating Advance Auto Parts locations through Feb. 3, while supplies last.
A pre-show pit party will be from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., Saturday, Feb. 4. Fans can meet the competitors, collect autographs, take photos and see these outrageous rigs firsthand. Pit passes are $5 with an event ticket and can be purchased at the box office.
For more details, visit www.MonsterJam.com.
From the Feb. 1-7, 2012, issue