- Tech-Friendly: I am not wowed by iOS 8
- Riverside Community Bank announces merger
- Rockford Public Library announces choice for new director
- 27 businesses penalized for selling alcohol to minors
- Woman, two teens arrested following narcotics investigation
- Former county officials charged with theft
- New Zion Baptist participates in National Back to Church Sunday Sept. 21
- Donors celebrate new school health center
- Debris cleanup underway near Fordham Dam
- Some good, some bad in Obama executive order on protecting antibiotics
The Red Sea Pedestrians at Mendelssohn Feb. 3
Charlotte’s Web for the Performing Arts will kick off the month with a rousing gypsy romp featuring The Red Sea Pedestrians (RSP) from Michigan. See them at 7:30 p.m., Friday, Feb. 3, at Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center, 415 N. Church St.
A one-of-a-kind, full-blown, instrument-swapping fusion between tradition and the here-and-now, RSP encompass world-beat grooves, hypnotic laments from the earth, songs of celebration and wonder: a warped and beautiful blend of Klezmer, Greek, Gypsy, Celtic, jazz and American roots, all filtered through the band’s original vision. RSP are a melting pot of six distinct singer/songwriters, almost a self-contained variety show.
Tickets are $18 in advance, $20 at the door. Advance tickets are available at: Rockford Area Arts Council, 713 E. State, (815) 963-6765; both Postal Shoppe locations: Edgebrook Center, (815) 397-7301 and 2205 S. Perryville, (815) 484-0940; JustGoods, 201 Seventh St., (815) 965-8903; Nikki’s Café, 604 Pleasant St., Beloit, Wis., (608) 207-3101; or by mail: send a check and SASE to P.O. Box 765, Rockford, IL 61105-0765. Indicate artist or performance date on check. Credit card payment accepted only at www.charlotteswebofrockford.org via PayPal. There is a $1 ticket processing fee included. Print your receipt. Info: Call (815) 964-2238 or visit www.CharlottesWebofRockford.org.
From the Feb. 1-7, 2012, issue