- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Running: Rockford Area Habitat for Humanity sponsors 27th Annual Arny Johnson Run
The 27th Annual Arny Johnson Classic 10-mile and 5K run presented by Rockford Area Habitat for Humanity will be April 7 at Machesney Park Harlem High School. The 10-mile run starts at 8:30 a.m., while the 5K run starts at 8:40 a.m.
Participants in the run can pre-register for the race online through Habitat for Humanity’s website, http://rockfordhabitat.org/, or at the Rockford Area Habitat for Humanity ReStore, in the North Towne Mall on West Riverside Boulevard. Race-day registration will be at the Harlem High School gym from 7 to 8 a.m. Cost is $25 if registered prior to March 31 and $30 after March 31. High school and younger cost is $10.
Rockford Area Habitat for Humanity provides opportunities for lower-income families to earn homeownership by working in partnership with people in need to build and renovate decent affordable housing. The houses are subsequently sold to those in need at no profit to Habitat for Humanity and with no interest charged. The new homeowner’s mortgage payments are then used by Habitat for Humanity to fund subsequent home construction and other various projects.
All proceeds from the run will go toward supporting low-income families in their quest for homeownership. For more information, contact the Rockford Area Habitat for Humanity at (815) 636-4573, fax (815) 636-4574, email@example.com or www.rockfordhabitat.org.
From the Feb. 8-14, 2012, issue