- Lawmaker says license plate readers a privacy threat
- Bryant not the first to feel impact of free agency rules
- State Roundup: Parents’ group calls for standardized test opt-out bill
- Hononegah Mack: ‘The best woman in the county’
- The tip of the iceberg: Human trafficking in America
- State Roundup: House passes proposal to fill current fiscal year budget gap
- ‘Hogs streak hits 4 as race tightens
- Neighborhood feel key for Rural on Tap
- TRRT March 25-31 | Online Edition
- State Roundup: Plaintiffs join Rauner on fair share case
BIFF Latino Film Festival debuts Feb. 18 in Beloit, Wis.
BELOIT, Wis. — Making its debut at the Beloit International Film Festival Saturday, Feb. 18, BIFF Latino is bringing the power of Spanish language films to Beloit, Wis.
The event commences with a family-friendly morning program consisting of five feature films and other activities from 11 a.m.-2 p.m., and then continues with films for teens and adults lasting from 2:30-9:30 p.m. The films: La Teta Asustada — Milk of Sorrow, Postales — Postcards, and No eres tu, soy yo, will be presented with English subtitles at La Casa Grande, 618 Fourth St. in Beloit.
Capping the day, the much-anticipated B.A.D. — BIFF After Dark presents a concert performance by the group San Juan Project direct from Guadalajara, Mexico. Self-described as “tragic jazz freely flowing with improvisation and the accompaniment of eclectic fusion and electronic beats,” the music may truly be called avant-garde. Through the vehicle of film, BIFF Latino will lend an insight into the Latino experience and inspire the community to come together and experience the world through a unique cultural lens.
Saul Arteaga, director of Southern Wisconsin Interpreting and Translation Services (SWITS), has played a significant supporting role in making this event possible and anticipates that BIFF Latino will go a long way in educating the community on linguistic and cultural differences and will help usher in a new age of greater multicultural appreciation and understanding.
From the Feb. 15-21, 2012, issue