- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Retain County Clerk Margie Mullins
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Re-elect Jesse White
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Elect Sheila Simon as state comptroller
- Brad Roos to step down as Zion Development executive director
- Smash your pumpkin at Rockford’s Discovery Center Nov. 2
- Control the candy without limiting the Halloween fun
- RHS Ambassadors host Halloween party for hospitalized children
- Beware of the energy-sucking vampires in your home, ComEd warns
- Rockford Park District golf season begins to wrap up
- Two locals to be honored among state’s top college students
Prep Basketball: IHSA class 4A Auburn regional
By Matt Nestor
Prep Sports Reporter
The 4A regional for most NIC-10 teams will take place at Rockford Auburn High School, and the host Knights have been named the top seed in the regional, as expected.
While Auburn does lead the conference standings and has the best overall record in the conference, a recent win over Rockton Hononegah, which defeated Auburn early in the season, was a key to the Knights wrapping up the top seed.
The top seed in this five-team regional is the only one to gain a bye, which is something Auburn Head Coach Bryan Ott said is a key to this regional.
“Very important because we are in a five-team regional,” Ott said. “The No. 1 thing that matters in the seeding process is head-to-head. If (Hononegah) had beaten us both times, they would have had a rightful claim to the No. 1 seed.”
As the 1 seed, Auburn will play the winner of a first-round matchup between Machesney Park Harlem and Rockford Guilford. Hononegah and Rockford Boylan Catholic will face off after splitting two regular-season games in the other game.
Rockford Jefferson is the only NIC-10 team that will play completely outside of the conference for their regional. They are the 4 seed in the class 4A Huntley regional, where they will face off against DeKalb.
If the J-Hawks can defeat DeKalb, they would move on to face the host school. Their regional will feed in to the same sectional as the Auburn regional, which will be at Dundee Crown.
From the Feb. 15-21, 2012, issue