- Woman, two teens arrested following narcotics investigation
- Former county officials charged with theft
- New Zion Baptist participates in National Back to Church Sunday Sept. 21
- Donors celebrate new school health center
- Debris cleanup underway near Fordham Dam
- Some good, some bad in Obama executive order on protecting antibiotics
- Two arrested on cannabis charges after search of detached garage on North Henrietta
- Man guilty of drug charges faces 60 years in prison
- Rockford BBB aware of ‘Microsoft’ phone scam
- Judge: Chad Grimm will remain on Illinois governor ballot
Prep Basketball: IHSA class 4A Auburn regional
By Matt Nestor
Prep Sports Reporter
The 4A regional for most NIC-10 teams will take place at Rockford Auburn High School, and the host Knights have been named the top seed in the regional, as expected.
While Auburn does lead the conference standings and has the best overall record in the conference, a recent win over Rockton Hononegah, which defeated Auburn early in the season, was a key to the Knights wrapping up the top seed.
The top seed in this five-team regional is the only one to gain a bye, which is something Auburn Head Coach Bryan Ott said is a key to this regional.
“Very important because we are in a five-team regional,” Ott said. “The No. 1 thing that matters in the seeding process is head-to-head. If (Hononegah) had beaten us both times, they would have had a rightful claim to the No. 1 seed.”
As the 1 seed, Auburn will play the winner of a first-round matchup between Machesney Park Harlem and Rockford Guilford. Hononegah and Rockford Boylan Catholic will face off after splitting two regular-season games in the other game.
Rockford Jefferson is the only NIC-10 team that will play completely outside of the conference for their regional. They are the 4 seed in the class 4A Huntley regional, where they will face off against DeKalb.
If the J-Hawks can defeat DeKalb, they would move on to face the host school. Their regional will feed in to the same sectional as the Auburn regional, which will be at Dundee Crown.
From the Feb. 15-21, 2012, issue