- Dimke: ‘I’m not going to retire’
- IMRF responds: Pay spiking against the rules
- Bill limits automated license plate readers
- Private uni’s subject to FOIA says House
- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
Prep Football: Titans receive top honor
By Matt Nestor
Prep Sports Reporter
The Boylan Titans spent two seasons establishing their football team as one of the top football teams in the state.
After two straight state championships, in two different classes, the Titans received their validation. If there were any doubts beyond that, they have now received national recognition for their efforts.
The Seventh Annual MaxPreps Tour of Champions has recognized the Boylan Titans with an Army National Guard national ranking trophy.
The Titans are one of only 50 schools in the entire country that will be presented with the trophy for their work in the previous football season. MaxPreps ranks more than 16,000 high school football teams to determine who gets the trophy.
MaxPreps.com, one of the top high school sports sites, uses a system called the Freeman Rankings to determine the top teams. Wins are the biggest factor in the system, taking into account not only the total wins, but giving more points for quality wins and margin of victory.
“On behalf of MaxPreps, I would like to congratulate Coach (Dan) Appino and the Boylan Catholic High School football team,” President and Founder Andy Beal said. “Together, MaxPreps and the Army National Guard have built the most prestigious nationwide high school sports awards program in America today.”
Seniors led the way for the Titans this past season, with Lamont Toney, Tyreis Thomas and Dean Lowry all setting records as the Titans repeated as state champions.
“MaxPreps is a resource we have used for a number of years,” Appino said. “For us to be nationally honored by them and the Army National Guard is a blessing. It is a great recognition for our players and coaches.”
From the Feb. 22-28, 2012, issue