- Guest Commentary: the Rockford Apartment Association
- State Roundup: NIU employee improperly reimbursed $30K
- State Roundup: Governor signs budget fix bills
- Rauner, Democratic leaders shake hands and make law
- State roundup: National guardsman and cousin arrested in terror plot
- Lawmaker says license plate readers a privacy threat
- Bryant not the first to feel impact of free agency rules
- State Roundup: Parents’ group calls for standardized test opt-out bill
- Hononegah Mack: ‘The best woman in the county’
- The tip of the iceberg: Human trafficking in America
Prep Basketball: Bradley Center all-star game set
By Matt Nestor
Prep Sports Reporter
The fourth annual Rock River Valley Classic boys’ and girls’ all-star game has announced a date and selections for their contest.
The game will again be at the Bradley Center in Milwaukee March 31, giving area players a chance to showcase their game in an NBA arena before the Milwaukee Bucks take on the Memphis Grizzlies.
“We started this four years ago when we were reading online that the rising stars game was going to be canceled,” said Doc Cornell, one of the game’s organizers. “But we wanted to make it even more memorable by placing them on the big stage.”
On the boys’ side, players like Fred Van Vleet, Steve McNease, Adonis Brown, Hunter Hill, Dave Hellstrom and Teyvious Montgomery lead the way.
The girls will feature players like Sannayyiah Johnson, Krystal James, Callan Timms, Katie Dovenmeuhle, Amy Wieting and Ellen Brunner.
“The kids that have played in the past said it felt great to sit and change in an NBA locker room and play on the court,” Cornell said. “And in the end, this is what it’s all about, making kids happy.”
Tickets are $24 and will allow you to see eighth-grade boys’ games between Freeport Aquin and DeKalb as well as Holy Family and St. Peters, the girls’ and boys’ all-star games, and finally, the Bucks and Grizzlies at the end of the night.
The prior night, March 30, there will be a dunk contest and 3-point contest that will take place at Rockford East High School at 7 p.m.
From the Feb. 29-March 6, 2012, issue