- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
- ABC Supply acquires Siding World
- IceHogs recall Jamie Wise, next home game Dec. 26
- Jimmy Clausen to start for Bears Sunday against Lions
- Email phishing scams escalate, BBB reports
- SwedishAmerican merges, becomes division of UW Health
Occupy Rockford Art Show set for March 10
An Occupy-themed art show will be held at North Main Studios, 2500 N. Main St., Rockford, from 3 to 10 p.m., Saturday, March 10.
Artists will be displaying a variety of original works in various media, including photography, painting, clay, sculpture, pottery and more.
This art show will feature Occupy artist Carl Defay, who will be displaying numerous creatively-made banners and signs used in the Occupy movement.
Participating artists include studio artists John Lamar, Meghan Jones Turley, Mike Montavon, John Mattison, CRUZ, BP-Ben, Drew Helge and Plain Jane.
Guest artists include Dan Moorman, Micheal Sheppard, John Lindquist, Jesus Correa VII, Emerson Stone III, Jean-Paul Dufek, Marilyn Lamar, Ericka Moore, Allison Johnson, Jennifer Dyer, Valerie Lemen, Kurt Schebell, Rick Kurtz, Kathryn Martin, Lisa Yarost, Rachel Leon, Eric Howaneitz and anonymous artists.
Occupy Rockford Art Show will also have on display one of the official “ONE” banners by Sandy Parsons. “ONE” is an art piece created by Parsons in 2009 in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is a 6-foot-by-8-foot collage on board and took approximately six months to create.
The original “ONE” is hanging from chains in Sandy’s studio and weighs about 175 pounds. Because its message is relevant to the Occupy movement, Parsons printed five official banners and sent them to various Occupy movements in various cities. These traveling banners have been seen in protests and galleries throughout the country. The “ONE” for display in the Occupy Rockford Art Show was last seen hung in the Occupy Chicago headquarters.
In addition to the artwork, the March 10 event will feature live music by Marco Miles, David Stocker and Los Osos Voladeres.
A portion of proceeds from the show will go to support Occupy Rockford. Representatives of Occupy Rockford will be present to share information about the movement.
From the March 7-13, 2012, issue