- Dimke: ‘I’m not going to retire’
- IMRF responds: Pay spiking against the rules
- Bill limits automated license plate readers
- Private uni’s subject to FOIA says House
- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
Occupy Rockford Art Show set for March 10
An Occupy-themed art show will be held at North Main Studios, 2500 N. Main St., Rockford, from 3 to 10 p.m., Saturday, March 10.
Artists will be displaying a variety of original works in various media, including photography, painting, clay, sculpture, pottery and more.
This art show will feature Occupy artist Carl Defay, who will be displaying numerous creatively-made banners and signs used in the Occupy movement.
Participating artists include studio artists John Lamar, Meghan Jones Turley, Mike Montavon, John Mattison, CRUZ, BP-Ben, Drew Helge and Plain Jane.
Guest artists include Dan Moorman, Micheal Sheppard, John Lindquist, Jesus Correa VII, Emerson Stone III, Jean-Paul Dufek, Marilyn Lamar, Ericka Moore, Allison Johnson, Jennifer Dyer, Valerie Lemen, Kurt Schebell, Rick Kurtz, Kathryn Martin, Lisa Yarost, Rachel Leon, Eric Howaneitz and anonymous artists.
Occupy Rockford Art Show will also have on display one of the official “ONE” banners by Sandy Parsons. “ONE” is an art piece created by Parsons in 2009 in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is a 6-foot-by-8-foot collage on board and took approximately six months to create.
The original “ONE” is hanging from chains in Sandy’s studio and weighs about 175 pounds. Because its message is relevant to the Occupy movement, Parsons printed five official banners and sent them to various Occupy movements in various cities. These traveling banners have been seen in protests and galleries throughout the country. The “ONE” for display in the Occupy Rockford Art Show was last seen hung in the Occupy Chicago headquarters.
In addition to the artwork, the March 10 event will feature live music by Marco Miles, David Stocker and Los Osos Voladeres.
A portion of proceeds from the show will go to support Occupy Rockford. Representatives of Occupy Rockford will be present to share information about the movement.
From the March 7-13, 2012, issue