- Hospitals lift visitor age restrictions as number of flu cases decreases
- Winnebago County sheriff names chief deputy
- URGENT: Four votes and we could lose on Keystone
- Guest Column: Housing Authority CEO: Time to unify behind quality living
- Rockford police investigate 17th Street murder
- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
Occupy Rockford Art Show set for March 10
An Occupy-themed art show will be held at North Main Studios, 2500 N. Main St., Rockford, from 3 to 10 p.m., Saturday, March 10.
Artists will be displaying a variety of original works in various media, including photography, painting, clay, sculpture, pottery and more.
This art show will feature Occupy artist Carl Defay, who will be displaying numerous creatively-made banners and signs used in the Occupy movement.
Participating artists include studio artists John Lamar, Meghan Jones Turley, Mike Montavon, John Mattison, CRUZ, BP-Ben, Drew Helge and Plain Jane.
Guest artists include Dan Moorman, Micheal Sheppard, John Lindquist, Jesus Correa VII, Emerson Stone III, Jean-Paul Dufek, Marilyn Lamar, Ericka Moore, Allison Johnson, Jennifer Dyer, Valerie Lemen, Kurt Schebell, Rick Kurtz, Kathryn Martin, Lisa Yarost, Rachel Leon, Eric Howaneitz and anonymous artists.
Occupy Rockford Art Show will also have on display one of the official “ONE” banners by Sandy Parsons. “ONE” is an art piece created by Parsons in 2009 in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is a 6-foot-by-8-foot collage on board and took approximately six months to create.
The original “ONE” is hanging from chains in Sandy’s studio and weighs about 175 pounds. Because its message is relevant to the Occupy movement, Parsons printed five official banners and sent them to various Occupy movements in various cities. These traveling banners have been seen in protests and galleries throughout the country. The “ONE” for display in the Occupy Rockford Art Show was last seen hung in the Occupy Chicago headquarters.
In addition to the artwork, the March 10 event will feature live music by Marco Miles, David Stocker and Los Osos Voladeres.
A portion of proceeds from the show will go to support Occupy Rockford. Representatives of Occupy Rockford will be present to share information about the movement.
From the March 7-13, 2012, issue