- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
Omega Guzzardo: June 6, 1992-March 3, 2012
By Denise Guzzardo
Omega Guzzardo departed her earthly life Saturday, March 3, 2012, at her loving home, Willow Wind Farms in Rockton, Ill.
Omega and I were very fortunate to have the caregivers Elaine and Gary Pierce at Willow Wind provide us both with excellent care and love that any horse or horse owner deserves but doesn’t always receive.
Omega and I spent 13 loving years together. We did everything from competing at Temple Farms and Lamplight to spending hours in the woods searching for morel mushrooms and getting chased by a turkey. Many good times with our other friends trail riding in Roland Olson Forest Preserve were shared as well.
The last few years, Omega had a new job — teaching my granddaughter, Morgan, the ins and outs of horsemanship and having the experience of a baby human all her own to love. Some days, when I would arrive at the barn without Morgan, Omega would let out a deep sigh looking for her little girl she loved so much. I would laugh and say, “Oh, well, Meg, it’s just you and me today.”
I can’t thank Gary and Elaine Pierce enough for going above and beyond the standards of care they provide for the horses that reside there.
Omega is survived by her mom, Denise Guzzardo; her dad, Lyle McKinney; her brothers, Austin (Amy) and Jordan (Jenny) Guzzardo; her nephew, Jackson Walker; and most importantly of all, her little niece (my granddaughter), whom she loved with all of her heart, Morgan Guzzardo.
From the March 7-13, 2012, issue