- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Omega Guzzardo: June 6, 1992-March 3, 2012
By Denise Guzzardo
Omega Guzzardo departed her earthly life Saturday, March 3, 2012, at her loving home, Willow Wind Farms in Rockton, Ill.
Omega and I were very fortunate to have the caregivers Elaine and Gary Pierce at Willow Wind provide us both with excellent care and love that any horse or horse owner deserves but doesn’t always receive.
Omega and I spent 13 loving years together. We did everything from competing at Temple Farms and Lamplight to spending hours in the woods searching for morel mushrooms and getting chased by a turkey. Many good times with our other friends trail riding in Roland Olson Forest Preserve were shared as well.
The last few years, Omega had a new job — teaching my granddaughter, Morgan, the ins and outs of horsemanship and having the experience of a baby human all her own to love. Some days, when I would arrive at the barn without Morgan, Omega would let out a deep sigh looking for her little girl she loved so much. I would laugh and say, “Oh, well, Meg, it’s just you and me today.”
I can’t thank Gary and Elaine Pierce enough for going above and beyond the standards of care they provide for the horses that reside there.
Omega is survived by her mom, Denise Guzzardo; her dad, Lyle McKinney; her brothers, Austin (Amy) and Jordan (Jenny) Guzzardo; her nephew, Jackson Walker; and most importantly of all, her little niece (my granddaughter), whom she loved with all of her heart, Morgan Guzzardo.
From the March 7-13, 2012, issue