Award winners were named in Rockford Art Museum’s (RAM) 71st Young Artist Show: High School Division during the show’s public opening Saturday, March 4.
Twenty-one schools submitted 966 pieces of artwork for consideration by this year’s jurors, who chose 163 pieces, representing 127 students from 21 high schools, for inclusion and awards in the 2012 exhibit.
The two jurors — Jeff Sanderson of Columbia College Chicago and Jim Julin, a self-taught Rockford artist — did not know the artist’s name, grade level or school affiliation when selections were made.
Following are the award recipients:
• Portfolio Scholarship Award — Abbie Francisco, senior at Boylan Catholic High School, Rockford. Portfolio includes “Sticky Situation,” “Reel Life,” “Cup of Life,” “Fleurs Sauvages” and “Loner.”
• Women’s Art Board Scholarship Award — “Artificial Allure” by Leah Horcher, senior at Hononegah High School, Rockton.
• Best of Show — “Chicago Rainday” by Remy Ugarte, senior at East High School, Rockford.
• Best 2-D — “Self-Portrait” by Jennifer Peters, sophomore at Boylan Catholic High School, Rockford.
• Best 3-D — “Steve” by LaMarcus Harvey, junior at East High School, Rockford.
• Juror’s Choice — “Untitled” by Arina Bubela, junior at East High School, Rockford; and “Fish” by Maranda Evrard, senior at Belvidere North High School.
• RAM Staff Choice — “Untitled” by Elizabeth Horvath, senior at Guilford High School, Rockford; and “Subtly Sad” by Lea Hoskins, senior at Jefferson High School, Rockford.
• Honorable Mention — “In the Company of Fear” by Lexi Araoz, Boylan Catholic High School, Rockford; “Feline” by Randi Degg, senior at Harlem High School, Machesney Park; “Serene” by Randi Degg, senior at Harlem High School, Machesney Park; “Garden of My Heart” by Victoria Groebner, junior at Christian Life High School, Rockford; “MacKenzie” by Sydney Hellgeth, senior at Huntley High School; “Frank Matthew” by Kaylee Kuter, senior at Hinckley-Big Rock High School, Hinckley; “Mannequin” by Alexis Nichols, senior at Huntley High School; “Charice” by Madelaine Peterson, senior at DeKalb High School; and “After the House Burned” by Anna Rinaldo, senior at Boylan Catholic High School, Rockford.
RAM is inside Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford, and can be reached at (815) 968-2787. Gallery and store hours are 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Saturday, and noon-5 p.m., Sunday. Admission is $7 adults, $3 for students and seniors, free for members and children younger than 12, and free for everyone every Tuesday. The 71st Young Artist Show: High School Division will remain on display through April 7.
From the March 7-13, 2012, issue