- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
- Supreme Court and gay marriage — U of I expert weighs in
- More than 6,100 residents of Winnebago County enrolled in Marketplace
- First large U.S. delegation to visit Cuba since opening of relations
- Merger complete for Illinois Bank & Trust, Galena State Bank
- Crusader welcomes Dr. Maria Lozano Vazquez
Elite Defense Systems to host anti-bullying course at Rock Valley
Elite Defense Systems (EDS) has partnered with Rock Valley College (RVC) for a series of targeted self-defense classes that will run over a period of four weeks.
The first of the series is the Youth Anti-Bullying Class, which will run April 3-24. Classes will be at RVC from 6 to 6:45 p.m. The anti-bullying classes are open to kids ages 4-12.
The partnership is in response to a 30 percent increase in the number of reported bullying cases over th past two years.
Bullying is not a normal part of growing up as it is often a subset of aggression. Bullies need to be under the constant guidance of an adult who will support the child toward a better behavior. Meanwhile, as the recovery process takes place or even before it does, keep your child out of the way.
“If children are taught how to fight off bullies before the situation gets physical, they will better enjoy their childhood,” said Matt Numrich, owner and chief instructor of the EDS.
EDS is a 17-year-old martial arts school based. Its specialty includes self-defense classes for men, women and youth. Visit elitejkd.com or contact Numrich at (815) 885-4758.
From the March 14-20, 2012, issue