- Man arrested after ax incident
- The Odds Man: Chicago, Detroit, San Diego good bets in Week 4
- Updated: Roosevelt High School evacuated after bomb threat
- Grand jury: No charges against Tony Stewart
- Laurent House to remain open for tours throughout the year
- Dynamic father-son piano duo at Mendelssohn Sept. 26
- Award-winning author Dr. Amina Gautier at Rock Valley Sept. 25
- City to remove traffic lights
- Apple orchards still hurting from last winter’s cold
- Photos: North America’s largest World War II-era re-enactment at Rockford’s Midway Village
Elite Defense Systems to host anti-bullying course at Rock Valley
Elite Defense Systems (EDS) has partnered with Rock Valley College (RVC) for a series of targeted self-defense classes that will run over a period of four weeks.
The first of the series is the Youth Anti-Bullying Class, which will run April 3-24. Classes will be at RVC from 6 to 6:45 p.m. The anti-bullying classes are open to kids ages 4-12.
The partnership is in response to a 30 percent increase in the number of reported bullying cases over th past two years.
Bullying is not a normal part of growing up as it is often a subset of aggression. Bullies need to be under the constant guidance of an adult who will support the child toward a better behavior. Meanwhile, as the recovery process takes place or even before it does, keep your child out of the way.
“If children are taught how to fight off bullies before the situation gets physical, they will better enjoy their childhood,” said Matt Numrich, owner and chief instructor of the EDS.
EDS is a 17-year-old martial arts school based. Its specialty includes self-defense classes for men, women and youth. Visit elitejkd.com or contact Numrich at (815) 885-4758.
From the March 14-20, 2012, issue