- Mr. Green Car: A car from your printer
- Candle Crest owners to open their first store and manufacturing operation in Rockford
- DuPont ordered to pay $1.85M for killing trees
- Rockford hosts America’s largest World War II-era re-enactment Sept. 20-21
- Guest Column: Former alderman: Rail station should be on Cedar Street
- A visit to The Wall That Heals
- The Odds Man: ‘D’ is key in Week 3
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Capital Brewery’s Oktoberfest a delicious, malty lager
- Week 3 NFL picks: Wins for Bears and Packers, losses for Lions and Vikings
- Rockford Rocked Interviews: Catching up with John ‘Brizz’ Brizzolara of 96.7 The Eagle
Klehm offers horticultural classes for 2012
Spring has finally arrived in the stateline area. Before you get busy outside, why not join Klehm Arboretum & Botanic Garden, 2715 S. Main St., for a specialty class? Connect with experts, learning the skills and information you need to achieve your gardening goals.
Lilies to Make Your Garden Great: Saturday, March 24, from 9-11 a.m.
Woody Imberman, president of the Wisconsin/Illinois Lily Society, touts his garden as “the largest Chicagoland garden devoted almost solely to a wide variety of true lilies.” With more than 200 plants sharing the common name of lily, not all are true lilies. A true lily comes from a bulb, whereas a day lily comes from a root. Unlike a day lily, which blooms for just one day, true lilies stay in bloom for one to two weeks and can be planted to bloom from early June until late August.
Forcing Spring Blossoms: Saturday, March 24, from 1-3 p.m.
Force winter gloom away with an early burst of spring blossoms indoors. Klehm staff John Moors and Edith Makra show you how to prune trees and shrubs to harvest branches for forcing. Students will be able to take some branches home.
Taking Care of Trees — Series
Trees are the longest lived and most prominent features of the landscape. With proper placement and care, they offer much beauty and pleasure over a lifetime. This four-session course is taught by Klehm’s certified arborists, John Moors and Edith Makra. Take one session or sigh up for the series and save.
Session 1. Choosing the Right Tree: Thursday, March 29 — 6:30-8:30 p.m.
Session 2. Tree Planting: Thursday, April 19 — 6:30-8:30 p.m.
Session 3. The Care and Feeding of Trees: Thursday, May 17 — 6:30-8:30 p.m.
Session 4. Geriatric Tree Care: Thursday, May 24 — 6:30-8:30 p.m.
Prices are, complete series, $50 non-member, $40 Klehm members. Individual courses, $15 non-member, $12 Klehm members.
To register, visit klehm.org or call (815) 965-8146.
From the March 21-27, 2012, issue