- Why fight over free trade confounds partisan divide
- Still no state budget
- Crime control is not the responsibility of landlords
- Fly over to the Poplar Grove Wings and Wheels Museum benefit
- Local leaders warn of budget deadlock’s impact
- SHUTDOWN: Illinois preps for the worst
- TRRT Online Edition | July 1-7
- Governor, AG differ on legality of payroll without budget
- Regular RHA meeting a quiet affair
- Funnel clouds possible through evening
Applications for ArtsPlace youth apprenticeship program due April 30
• Program for ages 14-18 runs June 18-Aug. 9 at Rockford College Clark Arts Center
Rockford Area Arts Council is taking applications for ArtsPlace 2012, the summer arts apprenticeship program for youth ages 14-18. Applications are due Monday, April 30.
ArtsPlace will run from 12:30 to 4:30 p.m., Mondays-Thursdays, June 18-Aug. 9, at Rockford College Clark Arts Center. ArtsPlace is a free program, supported by grants and donations. Bus transportation is provided, if needed.
ArtsPlace artists and teams are as follow: dance with Tamara Newquist; theater with Richard Raether; spoken-word poetry and/or jewelry with Tricia Sheridan; sculpture with Marco Basurto; and painting with Maya Simmons. Printmaking artist Bruce McDonald is the on-site project director.
Youth work on teams directed by the artist and create original work that is performed and exhibited at the conclusion of the program. Apprentices share in the proceeds from ticket and art sales. Through the process of creating art, participants learn valuable work skills such as productivity, reliability, perseverance, respect and cooperation.
ArtsPlace receives support through individual donations and grants from the National Endowment for the Arts, Northern Illinois Community Foundation, Target, Illinois Department of Human Services and the Rockford Park District.
Applications are online at www.artsforeveryone.com or at the Rockford Area Arts Council, 713 E. State St., Rockford. Call (815) 963-6765 for more information.
From the March 28-April 3, 2012, issue