- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Park District honors individuals, organizations
The Rockford Park District held the 2011 Illinois Park and Recreation Association (IPRA) Illinois Association of Park Districts (IAPD) Community Service Awards March 21 at the Indoor Sports Center, 8800 E. Riverside Blvd., Loves Park.
Community Service Awards are presented every year to dedicated individuals, agencies, partners and companies who have unselfishly assisted the Rockford Park District in helping to fulfill its mission of helping people enjoy life.
Executive Director Tim Dimke said: “This is a chance for us to demonstrate our appreciation for the many dedicated individuals, organizations, agencies, companies and partners. We can’t do it alone, but with the help of others, we can do what we do best, and give our taxpayers a high return on their investment.”
Following are 2011 Community Service Award recipients: Aldeen Men’s Golf Association, All Faith Community Center, Aqua-Aerobic Systems, Inc., Arles Hendershott, Bill Hartenberger, Black Healthcare Coalition, City of Rockford, Cooling Land Concepts, Dawn McGirk, David Sidney and Joe Anderson, Divine Divas & Dons, Eclipse Foundation, Edward Jones, Forest City Tennis Center, Gary, Allan, and Adam Hansberger; GiGi’s Playhouse, Gordon Kaye, BMO Harris Bank Center; Irv Johnson, Midway Village volunteer; K-LOVE, Kurt Carlson, Lloyd Johnston II, NAACP; Lowe’s, Mark Packard; New Zion Baptist Church, OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center, Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Ringland Johnson, Inc., Rock City Jaguars, Rockford Fire Department, Rockford Housing Authority, Rockford Memorial Development Foundation, Rockford Wrestling Club, Rodger Spielman, Rudy Valdez, St. Bridget Church and School, Stenstrom General Contractor, Susan Peterson, Discovery Center Volunteer; Swedish Historical Society, William Charles, Winnebago County, YMCA of Rock River Valley and Zeta Phi Beta Sorority.
From the March 28-April 3, 2012, issue