- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Read his actions, not his lips
This year we will witness a very negative presidential campaign. Barack Obama’s dismal record requires that he rely on distortions and outright lies to convince voters that he has accomplished something. Most of his first term was spent campaigning for a second term. He has deferred major decisions until after the election.
Obama assumes no responsibility. He spent two years blaming President George W. Bush for every problem. He pushed through an ill-conceived health care plan behind closed doors with zero Republican input. Now, he complains that Congress is not bi-partisan. He blames the high gas prices on the Middle East turmoil, which he has done nothing to resolve, and has chosen election politics over the national interest by rejecting the Keystone pipeline.
He told us his health care bill would cost $860 billion. The Congressional Budget Office estimates it will cost $1.76 trillion. This bill was structured to hide most of the expense until after the election.
He will craft a very persuasive argument to convince us he has accomplished something worthwhile. Only a well-informed electorate can prevent the unbelievable devastation he will cause when he isn’t plagued with the need to run for a second term.
From the March 28-April 3, 2012, issue