- Woman, two teens arrested following narcotics investigation
- Former county officials charged with theft
- New Zion Baptist participates in National Back to Church Sunday Sept. 21
- Donors celebrate new school health center
- Debris cleanup underway near Fordham Dam
- Some good, some bad in Obama executive order on protecting antibiotics
- Two arrested on cannabis charges after search of detached garage on North Henrietta
- Man guilty of drug charges faces 60 years in prison
- Rockford BBB aware of ‘Microsoft’ phone scam
- Judge: Chad Grimm will remain on Illinois governor ballot
Kalie Grable recipient of Gary S. Wilmer Memorial Scholarship
Kalie Grable, daughter of David and Valerie Grable, is the recipient of this year’s Rockford Area Music Industry (RAMI) Gary S. Wilmer Memorial Scholarship.
Kalie will be graduating from Machesney Park Harlem High School and plans on attending Illinois State University with a major in music therapy, primarily focusing on autistic children and their families, and a minor in music performance or music education.
Kalie has participated in the Rockford Music Academy flute choir, played principal flute in the Rockford Symphony Youth Orchestra, and also participated in the Rockford Symphony Youth Orchestra’s chamber orchestra and wind quintet.
Kalie also has taught students at the elementary and junior high school levels.
“My dream is to work with special needs children (primarily autistic children) through music,” Kalie said. “While there are many levels of autism, I believe that music can reach and possibly help even the most profound.”
Administered by the Community Foundation of Northern Illinois, the Gary S. Wilmer Memorial Trust was established in 1996 to honor the memory and continue the legacy of Gary Wilmer by awarding scholarships to students who wish to pursue an education in music. A total of $48,000 in scholarships has been awarded since the scholarship’s inception.
Wilmer was the founder and publisher of RAM magazine, a Rockford-area music monthly, and a founding organizer of the RAMI Awards.
For more about RAMI, visit http://ramiawards.com/.
From the April 4-10, 2012, issue