- Hospitals lift visitor age restrictions as number of flu cases decreases
- Winnebago County sheriff names chief deputy
- URGENT: Four votes and we could lose on Keystone
- Guest Column: Housing Authority CEO: Time to unify behind quality living
- Rockford police investigate 17th Street murder
- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
Kalie Grable recipient of Gary S. Wilmer Memorial Scholarship
Kalie Grable, daughter of David and Valerie Grable, is the recipient of this year’s Rockford Area Music Industry (RAMI) Gary S. Wilmer Memorial Scholarship.
Kalie will be graduating from Machesney Park Harlem High School and plans on attending Illinois State University with a major in music therapy, primarily focusing on autistic children and their families, and a minor in music performance or music education.
Kalie has participated in the Rockford Music Academy flute choir, played principal flute in the Rockford Symphony Youth Orchestra, and also participated in the Rockford Symphony Youth Orchestra’s chamber orchestra and wind quintet.
Kalie also has taught students at the elementary and junior high school levels.
“My dream is to work with special needs children (primarily autistic children) through music,” Kalie said. “While there are many levels of autism, I believe that music can reach and possibly help even the most profound.”
Administered by the Community Foundation of Northern Illinois, the Gary S. Wilmer Memorial Trust was established in 1996 to honor the memory and continue the legacy of Gary Wilmer by awarding scholarships to students who wish to pursue an education in music. A total of $48,000 in scholarships has been awarded since the scholarship’s inception.
Wilmer was the founder and publisher of RAM magazine, a Rockford-area music monthly, and a founding organizer of the RAMI Awards.
For more about RAMI, visit http://ramiawards.com/.
From the April 4-10, 2012, issue