- Dems, Rauner spar over deficit solution; Senate Democrats poised to pass own version
- Minnie Minoso: Dead at 90, unbeaten
- Bring back legislative scholarships? Proposal faces serious questions from both sides
- First Friday opening for Olive Oil Experience
- RAM announce 74th Young Artist winners
- Texas Two-step: ‘Hogs sweep weekend, return home
- More highlights from the Chicago Auto Show
- Industry response to peak oil not enough long term
- TRRT March 4-10 | Online Edition
- Commentary: Walker’s budget calls for schools to stop reporting sexual assaults
Kalie Grable recipient of Gary S. Wilmer Memorial Scholarship
Kalie Grable, daughter of David and Valerie Grable, is the recipient of this year’s Rockford Area Music Industry (RAMI) Gary S. Wilmer Memorial Scholarship.
Kalie will be graduating from Machesney Park Harlem High School and plans on attending Illinois State University with a major in music therapy, primarily focusing on autistic children and their families, and a minor in music performance or music education.
Kalie has participated in the Rockford Music Academy flute choir, played principal flute in the Rockford Symphony Youth Orchestra, and also participated in the Rockford Symphony Youth Orchestra’s chamber orchestra and wind quintet.
Kalie also has taught students at the elementary and junior high school levels.
“My dream is to work with special needs children (primarily autistic children) through music,” Kalie said. “While there are many levels of autism, I believe that music can reach and possibly help even the most profound.”
Administered by the Community Foundation of Northern Illinois, the Gary S. Wilmer Memorial Trust was established in 1996 to honor the memory and continue the legacy of Gary Wilmer by awarding scholarships to students who wish to pursue an education in music. A total of $48,000 in scholarships has been awarded since the scholarship’s inception.
Wilmer was the founder and publisher of RAM magazine, a Rockford-area music monthly, and a founding organizer of the RAMI Awards.
For more about RAMI, visit http://ramiawards.com/.
From the April 4-10, 2012, issue