- Meet John Doe: Businesses, politicians and gov’t should follow junk email laws
- Entertainment abound for this week’s First Friday
- State Roundup: Special election dates set
- Test drive: the 2015 Ford F-150
- Fracking never on a path to sustainability
- Indiana boxes itself into legal corner
- TRRT April 1-7 | Online Edition
- Guest Commentary: the Rockford Apartment Association
- State Roundup: NIU employee improperly reimbursed $30K
- State Roundup: Governor signs budget fix bills
Avalon String Quartet to present fourth concert April 13
Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center will present the Avalon String Quartet in a concert titled “Serendipitous Harmony” at 7 p.m., Friday, April 13, in Mendelssohn PAC’s Emerson Auditorium, 415 N. Church St. in Rockford. Concertgoers can experience the power and passion of Beethoven, enjoy light refreshments, and mingle with the artists after the concert.
The Avalon String Quartet, one of the country’s leading string ensembles, was formerly in residence at Juilliard School and Indiana University, and is now in residence at Northern Illinois University.
The quartet is performing a special six-concert series of Beethoven’s string quartets for Mendelssohn PAC this season. In this fourth program of the series, “Serendipitous Harmony,” three works in closely-related tonalities are brought together in the same way one might study an artist’s diverse treatments of a single theme (i.e., Picasso’s use of the guitar in his artwork, or architect Frank Lloyd Wright’s fascination with Japanese woodblock prints).
Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for students.
The fifth concert of the series will be held June 1. The sixth concert has been postponed until the fall of 2012 (date TBA).
For tickets or more information, call (815) 964-9713.
From the April 11-17, 2012, issue