- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Avalon String Quartet to present fourth concert April 13
Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center will present the Avalon String Quartet in a concert titled “Serendipitous Harmony” at 7 p.m., Friday, April 13, in Mendelssohn PAC’s Emerson Auditorium, 415 N. Church St. in Rockford. Concertgoers can experience the power and passion of Beethoven, enjoy light refreshments, and mingle with the artists after the concert.
The Avalon String Quartet, one of the country’s leading string ensembles, was formerly in residence at Juilliard School and Indiana University, and is now in residence at Northern Illinois University.
The quartet is performing a special six-concert series of Beethoven’s string quartets for Mendelssohn PAC this season. In this fourth program of the series, “Serendipitous Harmony,” three works in closely-related tonalities are brought together in the same way one might study an artist’s diverse treatments of a single theme (i.e., Picasso’s use of the guitar in his artwork, or architect Frank Lloyd Wright’s fascination with Japanese woodblock prints).
Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for students.
The fifth concert of the series will be held June 1. The sixth concert has been postponed until the fall of 2012 (date TBA).
For tickets or more information, call (815) 964-9713.
From the April 11-17, 2012, issue