- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
- 11 public housing residents complete job readiness training
- Youth health care enrollment event at NIU Rockford Jan. 29
- More than 50 employers at Jan. 29 job fair
- School district’s credit rating remains solid
- State Police seize LSD, cannabis, U.S. currency in I-80 arrest
- Park District names employee, team of the year
- A closer look at fracking for natural gas
- Susan Johnson, copy editor, moves on after 21 years
- Guest Column: Clean Water Act: Supporters of clean water must make their voices heard
Fund-raiser April 15 for baby recovering from surgery
Oscar’s Pub & Grill, 5980 E. State St., is partnering with the Lyle Love Fundraising Committee, composed of local journalists like the child’s father, to raise money from 2 to 5 p.m., April 15, for the family of 4-month-old Lyle Williams of Loves Park.
This “drink and dine” event will help the baby’s family pay medical expenses associated with his Feb. 2 open heart surgery and to aid in funding his recovery.
Lyle, son of Rachel and Matt Williams, was diagnosed with Total Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Return, a rare and serious heart defect after being taken to the doctor Jan. 27, 2012. He had a five-hour open heart operation at OSF St. Francis in Peoria to help correct the defect, which was only allowing him to receive about 75 percent of the oxygen he needed.
Tickets for the prime rib, baked ham and assorted comfort food buffet are $8 at the door with 100 percent of dollars raised going to the family. Oscar’s is donating event space and buffet food. Alcoholic beverages will be sold separately at the event through the bar with 20 percent of those sales going to the Williams family. T-shirts will also be on sale.
Feb. 26, the committee raised $3,762 at Onyx Bar & Grill in Machesney Park. Spread the word and help raise some more at Oscar’s! For more information about Lyle Love, visit www.facebook.com/LyleLove2012 or call Betsy at (708) 717-9408. Event updates can also be found at www.facebook.com/OscarsPubGrill.
Oscar’s is celebrating its 11th year in business. With more than 38 years of local business experience, Oscar’s opened in April 2001. This community-minded business has helped to support countless local fund-raisers, including The Red Shoe Run, benefits for St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital, Noah’s Ark Animal Sanctuary, United Way of the rock River Valley, Rockford Firefighters Local 413, Fraternal Order of Police Lodge No. 263 and others.
From the April 11-17, 2012, issue