- The Odds Man: NFL QBs holding up Vegas in Week 9
- Murder charges filed in crash that killed Rockford attorney
- General Election Endorsements: Re-elect Madigan, Kinzinger
- IceHogs squeak by Grand Rapids behind strong Leighton showing
- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
Mixed Martial Arts: UFC champion Matt Hughes at Max Muscle in Loves Park April 21
By Doug Halberstadt
Nine-time UFC champion Matt Hughes will be hanging out in the Rockford area this Saturday (April 21). The UFC legend nicknamed “Country Boy” will be the featured guest at the customer appreciation event hosted by the sports nutrition store Max Muscle, 6738 Broadcast Pkwy., Loves Park.
Hughes will be at the store from noon until 4 p.m. He will be posing for pictures and signing autographs for fans inside a fighting cage. Professional model and author Hilda Castillo will join Hughes for the celebration.
Max Muscle’s customer appreciation event will also include professional body paint artist Johni Kucera. Her skills will be displayed on Max Muscle-sponsored athletes Brandon Truckenmiller and Jerry Foss. Truckenmiller and Foss are local amateur bodybuilders pursuing their pro-card (professional status).
Customers can also take advantage of big sales on all products, services and apparel. Multiple product vendors will be on site offering samples and giveaways. Saturday store hours are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Following their afternoon at Max Muscle, Hughes and Castillo will make their way over to the Grand Ballroom at Cliffbreakers Resort for the special 10th anniversary of Rumble on the River. Clay Goodman and Todd Green have invited Hughes to help them celebrate their 10th year of promoting mixed martial arts events.
Many of the area’s top local fighters have entered the ring in the “Rumble” events. Will Brooks, Kenny Booker, Damian Norris, Tom Butler, Josh Labree, Kent Rexford, Vince Ramos and Andrew Navickis are just a few of the names that have fought on previous cards.
Saturday night’s card features Matt “The Reaper” Mahurin taking on Nick Lasher. For more about the Rumble on the River or to purchase advance tickets, contact Cliffbreakers at (815) 282-3033.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the April 18-24, 2012, issue