- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
Mixed Martial Arts: UFC champion Matt Hughes at Max Muscle in Loves Park April 21
By Doug Halberstadt
Nine-time UFC champion Matt Hughes will be hanging out in the Rockford area this Saturday (April 21). The UFC legend nicknamed “Country Boy” will be the featured guest at the customer appreciation event hosted by the sports nutrition store Max Muscle, 6738 Broadcast Pkwy., Loves Park.
Hughes will be at the store from noon until 4 p.m. He will be posing for pictures and signing autographs for fans inside a fighting cage. Professional model and author Hilda Castillo will join Hughes for the celebration.
Max Muscle’s customer appreciation event will also include professional body paint artist Johni Kucera. Her skills will be displayed on Max Muscle-sponsored athletes Brandon Truckenmiller and Jerry Foss. Truckenmiller and Foss are local amateur bodybuilders pursuing their pro-card (professional status).
Customers can also take advantage of big sales on all products, services and apparel. Multiple product vendors will be on site offering samples and giveaways. Saturday store hours are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Following their afternoon at Max Muscle, Hughes and Castillo will make their way over to the Grand Ballroom at Cliffbreakers Resort for the special 10th anniversary of Rumble on the River. Clay Goodman and Todd Green have invited Hughes to help them celebrate their 10th year of promoting mixed martial arts events.
Many of the area’s top local fighters have entered the ring in the “Rumble” events. Will Brooks, Kenny Booker, Damian Norris, Tom Butler, Josh Labree, Kent Rexford, Vince Ramos and Andrew Navickis are just a few of the names that have fought on previous cards.
Saturday night’s card features Matt “The Reaper” Mahurin taking on Nick Lasher. For more about the Rumble on the River or to purchase advance tickets, contact Cliffbreakers at (815) 282-3033.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the April 18-24, 2012, issue