- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
Junior League offers Kids in the Kitchen April 21 at Discovery Center
Online Staff Report
The Junior League of Rockford, Inc., and the Discovery Center Museum will partner to offer Kids in the Kitchen from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday, April 21.
The event will be at Discovery Center Museum, inside Riverfront Museum Park, at 711 N. Main St., Rockford.
The free event is open to the entire community. Families with children 10 and younger are encouraged to attend.
Kids in the Kitchen will provide helpful information and fun activities to educate families and children about healthy eating and fitness habits.
Kids will learn how to prepare a healthy breakfast, enjoy interactive fitness activities of zumba and yoga, and have lots of fun.
Activities will include creating fun and free make-and-take snack projects; taste-testing unique veggies and fruits; an interactive kids’ cooking demonstration by the leader of “Children’s Cooking Classes,” Melissa Poppen of Machine Shed; a free raffle for a children’s bike and tickets to Rockford Park District events, including Magic Waters; and goodie bags to take home.
The goal of the Kids in the Kitchen initiative, which is supported by The Association of Junior Leagues International, Inc., and its member leagues, is to empower kids to make healthy lifestyle choices and to help reverse the growth of childhood obesity and its associated health issues.
In 2007, the Junior League of Rockford presented Kids in the Kitchen to the Rockford community and has been holding the event every year.
Admission to the Discovery Center Museum exhibits is an additional charge of $7 per person and free to Discovery Center members and children 1 and younger.
For more information about Kids in the Kitchen, contact Junior League of Rockford at (815) 399-4518 or visit www.jlrockford.org.
Posted April 19, 2012