- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
Junior League offers Kids in the Kitchen April 21 at Discovery Center
Online Staff Report
The Junior League of Rockford, Inc., and the Discovery Center Museum will partner to offer Kids in the Kitchen from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday, April 21.
The event will be at Discovery Center Museum, inside Riverfront Museum Park, at 711 N. Main St., Rockford.
The free event is open to the entire community. Families with children 10 and younger are encouraged to attend.
Kids in the Kitchen will provide helpful information and fun activities to educate families and children about healthy eating and fitness habits.
Kids will learn how to prepare a healthy breakfast, enjoy interactive fitness activities of zumba and yoga, and have lots of fun.
Activities will include creating fun and free make-and-take snack projects; taste-testing unique veggies and fruits; an interactive kids’ cooking demonstration by the leader of “Children’s Cooking Classes,” Melissa Poppen of Machine Shed; a free raffle for a children’s bike and tickets to Rockford Park District events, including Magic Waters; and goodie bags to take home.
The goal of the Kids in the Kitchen initiative, which is supported by The Association of Junior Leagues International, Inc., and its member leagues, is to empower kids to make healthy lifestyle choices and to help reverse the growth of childhood obesity and its associated health issues.
In 2007, the Junior League of Rockford presented Kids in the Kitchen to the Rockford community and has been holding the event every year.
Admission to the Discovery Center Museum exhibits is an additional charge of $7 per person and free to Discovery Center members and children 1 and younger.
For more information about Kids in the Kitchen, contact Junior League of Rockford at (815) 399-4518 or visit www.jlrockford.org.
Posted April 19, 2012