- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
- Supreme Court and gay marriage — U of I expert weighs in
- More than 6,100 residents of Winnebago County enrolled in Marketplace
- First large U.S. delegation to visit Cuba since opening of relations
- Merger complete for Illinois Bank & Trust, Galena State Bank
- Crusader welcomes Dr. Maria Lozano Vazquez
Celebrate National Arbor Day by planting trees
• Get 10 free shade trees when you join the Arbor Day Foundation
National Arbor Day is April 27 this year, and the best way to celebrate is by planting trees. The Arbor Day Foundation is making it easy for everyone to celebrate the tree planters’ holiday. Everyone who joins the Foundation in April will receive 10 free shade trees.
National Arbor Day and Illinois’ Arbor Day is celebrated on the last Friday in April, which is April 27 this year.
By joining the nonprofit Arbor Day Foundation in April, you will receive the following trees: red oak, sugar maple, weeping willow, bald cypress, thornless honey locust, pin oak, river birch, tulip tree, silver maple and red maple. The free trees are part of the Foundation’s Trees for America campaign.
“These trees will provide shade in the summer and magnificent color throughout the fall,” said John Rosenow, chief executive officer and founder of the Arbor Day Foundation. “By the simple act of planting trees, a person can make a positive impact on the Earth and a deep, meaningful connection to nature. When you plant a tree, you’re giving a gift for future generations.”
The trees will be shipped postpaid at the right time for planting in April or May with enclosed planting instructions. The 6- to 12-inch trees are guaranteed to grow, or they will be replaced free of charge.
To become a member of the Foundation and receive the free trees, send a $10 contribution to Ten Free Shade Trees, Arbor Day Foundation, 100 Arbor Ave., Nebraska City, NE 68410, by April 30, 2012, or visit arborday.org/April.
From the April 25-May 1, 2012, issue