- Email phishing scams escalate, BBB reports
- SwedishAmerican merges, becomes division of UW Health
- Aaron Rodgers has Jay Cutler’s back, even if the Bears don’t
- Police investigate home invasion on Applewood Lane
- Amy Newell named The Arc executive director
- Rockford Rocked Interviews: A chat with Rockford native Larry Merryman of Stonefront
- Technological assessment is needed
- Consumer advocates prep for looming telecom battle
- National Council of Churches president to speak in Rockford Sunday, Dec. 28
- RSO’s Holiday Pops set for Dec. 20-21 at Coronado
Consult a lawyer at no cost on Ask a Lawyer Day April 28
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. — Anyone in Illinois with a question about a legal matter can call and talk to a lawyer — at no cost — on Ask A Lawyer Day, Saturday, April 28.
Lawyer volunteers will answer phones at five locations from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., April 28. Any Illinois resident can call toll-free, or a local number in some areas, for a free phone consultation with a lawyer.
The 31st annual Ask A Lawyer Day, part of Law Day activities in Illinois, is a public service sponsored by the Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA) in cooperation with bar associations in Chicago, DuPage County, Lake County and Will County.
Lawyer volunteers will be able to answer questions about consumer problems, family law, estate planning, personal injury, or any other legal situations affecting individuals.
Callers will be advised of steps they can take to resolve their legal problems and, if they need additional legal services, they will be advised to see their lawyer. If they don’t have a lawyer, they can receive a referral to a lawyer who practices in their area through the referral service offered by participating bar associations.
“We find that many people hesitate to see a lawyer, even when they know they have a legal problem,” said John G. Locallo, of Chicago, president of the ISBA. “Ask A Lawyer Day provides an opportunity to learn about a legal situation, or how best to address a legal problem, in a user-friendly manner.”
Phone numbers to talk to a lawyer on April 28 are as follow:
• The Chicago Bar Association, (312) 554-2001;
• DuPage County Bar Association, (630) 653-7779;
• Lake County Bar Association, (847) 244-3143; and
• Will County Bar Association, (815) 744-1000.
From anywhere in Illinois, call the ISBA at (800) 252-8908 or (217) 525-1760.
Each of the bar associations operates a lawyer referral service for people who need legal services but do not have a lawyer. Lawyers contacted through a referral service provide an initial consultation at a nominal cost. Also, lawyers can be found online at one of the following bar association websites:
http://www.lakebar.org/find-a-lawyer (Lake County)
http://www.willcountybar.org/content/view/41/124/ (Will County)
The 33,000-member ISBA, with offices in Springfield and Chicago, provides professional services to Illinois lawyers, and education and services to the public.
From the April 25-May 1, 2012, issue